Sunday, June 7, 2009

Halifax

Dad and I were walking along the waterfront in Halifax this afternoon, and it was beautiful enough to take a picture of, so I guess I have something to blog!
And while I'm at it, here are some favourite photos of hummingbirds I took last time I was at Grammie's house. I have to say, you really need to have a lot of patience and a good chunk of free time to get a clear shot. Those buggers move fast!

Summer in Halifax is great. I finished one week of full-time teaching last week, but I'll be down to part time for the rest of June. I'll be happy to have a lighter workload of grading and lesson planning! Other than that, my big news to report is that I bought my Olympics tickets yesterday. The website was open at 2pm, and you were put into a virtual waiting room to be randomly selected to be able to buy tickets. I had to wait about an hour, but got on in time to get almost all the tickets I wanted. Of course, this was the second phase, so the cheap seats for the big events like the Opening Ceremonies and figure skating were long gone, and I couldn't bring myself to plunk down $500 to watch the Pairs short program. I ended up buying a ticket to the Victory Ceremony three nights; medals, flags, anthems and a concert! Plus I'll be going to three events; women's hockey (Canada vs Switzerland), women's halfpipe snowboarding finals, and doubles luge. I might try to get figure skating or speed skating tickets later on. I booked my hostel bed, so the whole thing won't be too expensive, and I planned it for the week of study/reading days at university, so the timing is perfect. I'm so excited, I love the Olympics more than anyone else I've ever met (well, Carole's a tie!)

No comments: