Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pictures from our day off

We're coming to the end of camp! I really can't believe that we will be saying goodbye to these girls a week from today. We try not to talk about it much, or everyone starts to get upset. This last week is full of fun activities, and it's wonderful to see the students having so much fun. Today Carole wrote a murder mystery in which all of the staff dressed as characters and hid around campus. The girls had to run around asking us questions. I was a very angry, USA-hating Olympic boxer. Why? Because I had my Thai boxing shorts and Carole found a boxing teddy bear at Frenchies! Fun times. Anyway, last week Carole and I had a day off together and drove into Wolfville. The first part of the day was great. Carole finally got the Acadia alumni snapshot...
And we had a delicious, expensive lunch at her favourite restaurant.
She had lobster risotto, I had a lobster BLT! She had a gift certificate, by the way.

We were dying to see a movie, but Carole underestimated the popularity of Mama Mia on a summer's night in New Minas. Never have two people been so disappointed by a sold out movie! But, as soon as we got in the car to drive back, we got a call saying one of the girls was in hospital and was refusing treatment and needed to be taken by ambulance to Halifax and so on. Our days off always seem to end in drama. The girl had a sickle cell anemia emergency (the main symptom was pain in her elbows) and everything eventually worked out. Yesterday two other girls left camp with a chaperone to meet the girl in Halifax and fly back to the UAE. Anyway, on our ride home we stopped stressing for a minute and jumped out of the car to enjoy the sunset.
These are our "trying-to-relax" faces.
I like this twin picture from another night when we went into Digby for scallops.
And I had to put this picture on. This is me in "Arabian makeup" wearing one of the girls shaylas. They put on a UAE day and there were presentations, food & henna.
The henna wasn't very good quality, but the designs one of my students did on my hands were gorgeous!

No comments: